'War is no tea Party': Author Interview with Dame Nneonyeodiri O.Ukoha; writer, wife, mother & grandma.




Who are you?

My name is Nneonyeodiri O. Ukoha a wife, mother and doting grandmother; I worked with the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA). I am a creative writer and critic, particularly, when it comes to assessing my works, which sometimes is a constraint. I have an abiding faith in God, believe in making a difference in whatever I do and leaving a legacy. I hold myself accountable in all things and expect people to tell simple truth. Ordinary folks fascinate me; I love their company and they are my best friends. Lastly, I am passionate about women and girl child issues.

At Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) what did you do?

Scripting, editor and a producer:

Programmes I produced in NTA included children’s ‘Monthly Birthday Party,’ ‘Blow Dry’ – a comedy set in a pair saloon; ‘The Honourable’ – a comedy (satire) on the foibles of the Nigeria politicians in 80s; created and co-designed new programmes like ‘Second Chance’ an adaptation of the British programme ‘Mind Your language,’D.OdaSide SPACKS,’ ‘Memorial Hospital’. I wrote and edited scripts for programs like ‘Portrait of a Culture’ (Documentary) ‘Tales by Moonlight,’ and ‘Second Chance.’

I Created the NTA Television industry Magazine; TV Guide in 1993 and was its Editor till 2001,then it’s Managing Editor till 2008.

I assisted a BBC writer to Train Independent Writers in 1986. An initiative of the then Executive Director, Programme Dr. Victoria Ezeokoli with the support of the Director General Engr. Vincent Maduka. The initial reason for the training was for them to contribute scripts for NTA programmes for fees, but they began to write and produce their own progrmmes, eventually became the bedrock script writers of today’s Nigeria's famed Nollywood writers.

Subsequently, I also several times, trained staff of NTA drawn from all the stations at TV College, Jos on Television script writing.

I was Head, Corporate Affairs of NTA 2006 – 2008, General Manager NTA Yenagoa 2011, and Zonal Director NTA Enugu Network Centre in-charge of all South East NTA stations.

What do you like about what you did?

It gave me great satisfaction that I could use my talent to positively impact on people’s perception on some aspects of our society through programming. I enjoyed sitting back and watching some of the characters I had taken part to create, act out their roles so well that viewers loved them e.g. Madam Kofo, the character in ‘Second Chance’ who always wore an unwieldy head gear that blocked the view of other students. Madam Kofo became a successful brand. Also, while training staff I mentored many staff which to this day, still makes me feel fulfilled.

I love the fact that throughout my career in NTA I was greatly appreciated by my supervisors including all my bosses with whom I worked. I garnered many written and verbal commendations from the pioneer Director General, Eng. Vincent Maduka, the then Director Programmes Dr. Victoria Ezeokoli and others. The commendations spurred me on to work harder. Quite early in my career I worked with seasoned professionals who mentored me and this got me going.

What were the challenges you did not like?


The main challenge I had was poor remuneration for a job that took all my time - 24/7, inclusive of weekends! And, where the screen was always on days and nights. It was most challenging to watch other civil servants off on weekends while I worked. The poor pay also impacted on the moral of other staff. But then, the love of the job kept me on. However, majority of the male folks we started together, moved on to other jobs as soon as they became screen stars.

How did you get into writing

It’s a God-given talent. I recall that as a child I read a lot of novels, biographies, comics, etc. I was lucky that my Dad was a practicing Attorney and had a well-stocked library from where I ravenously read. Then I started to scribble ideas and developed short paragraph stories by the time I became an undergraduate at the University of Missouri, Kansas City, USA. I made contributions to the University Literary Magazine, ‘Number One.’

    My first book of short stories ‘Rustle in the Wind’ was published in 2007. It is a collection of four thought provoking stories based on my observation and experience during the Nigerian Civil was of 1967-1970. It highlights the untold suffering, death, devastation, insecurity and deprivation that are the consequences of war especially on women and children. Of course the girl child suffers the most as graphically illustrated by the first story ‘Adaku.’


Working on other books?

Yes, I am working on a book of poetry and co-authoring a book on Writing for Television.

Your experience with Art industry-authorship and writing?

The cost of printing books is still on the high side. This is not encouraging for upcoming authors. My book was well received, great reviews and widely read at the time it was launched. Besides, Nigerians now read a lot especially books by young authors like Chimamanda Adichie and others who are internationally acclaimed authors.

Young writers in Nigeria can attain great heights if only the Education Ministries at the Federal and State levels subsidize books, particularly, those chosen as school text books. It’s frustrating when a book has been chosen as a text book for secondary schools, only for the Principals of the various schools not able to ensure that the recommended texts are bought by every students. I have had that experience.

Your favourite story in the collection?

My favourite story in the collection-‘Rustle In The Wind’ is the first one titled ‘Adaku.’ I am fascinated by her indomitable spirit which saw her through her travails during the civil war till she triumphed in the end. This was a young pre-teen girl, born to a Commissioner of Police, Commissioner Mgba and his wife Orie. The family lived in the Police Barracks in Aba sharing their lives with expatriate policemen and their families. She was growing up comfortably in a middles class home and her future was bright. Then suddenly, her world came tumbling down with the death of her father. Stripped by her father’s relatives of all their belongings, she, her siblings and her mother were forced to relocate to the village. They suffered this trauma because of the patrilineal custom of their people which makes it abominable for them to inherit anything from her father, her mother inclusive.

Adaku teamed up with her mother to see that they survived the civil war which broke out soon after they settled down in their village. As the war raged, economic pressure and scarcity of food forced Adaku into an early marriage to a man old enough to be her father. As all these were going on she developed a loving relationship with a childhood friend Obinna. In the end, love triumphed as they reunited after the civil war.

The finished manuscript gave me relief and joy for having at last shared experiences of the civil war – with my readers. I felt a compulsion to tell the war stories so that society and those in government can steer the ship of state away from rancor and strife which can lead to insecurity then war. War is no tea party; it interrupts civilized living and brings untold hardship to citizens. During any war nothing is predictable any more except increases insecurity, hunger and death. Women and children are the first casualty and suffer untold hardship.

What are the immediate plans about letting the world share the  joy or otherwise you felt writing your collection?

My immediate plan is to continue to promote the book, possibly get the story on the screen as a film.

I have no immediate plans to collaborate with ministry or any other organization for now. I could work on that. But a private film producer has read the script and expressed a wish to produce the film if he finds a sponsor.

Any other comments?
I am encouraged and elated by the success of Africans writers and especially Nigerian writers worldwide. They are following in the footsteps of Prof. Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, Cyprian Ekwensi and others. One of them is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. For such young creative minds who have easily gain instant recognition with their poignant tales of the way we are in Africa. It is a thing of joy.


         Thank You

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ZACK'S STORY

TENANTS OF THE HOUSE

WHY WOMEN WON'T GO TO HEAVEN