MAKING A WRITER OF YOU

My craving to be a Writer started in Primary school but I got devoted in secondary school. I had a schoolmate, Ifedi Obidiwe, God bless his soul, he is dead now. Usually, we would buy second-hand novels, or borrow from friends, then challenge each other on our ability to read and remember, the skill to critique the story or the competition could be on how fast we can finish a book. We started very early on as we both discovered we liked reading novels. Then it used to be pamphlet novels by Writers like Onuora Nzekwu; ‘Eze goes To school,’ detective novels by Writers like, Nick Carter. Then when we could no longer get novels by Nick Carter to read, we switched on to James Hardly Chase, etc. As we grew older, the bigger the book or more complex, the better. The competition even took us to a reading poem by Geoffrey Chaucer!

The competition was fierce and we genuinely did all we could to outdo each other. But in all, despite the ferocious competition, etc, we remained friends, extremely liked each other and carried the competition to grade in subjects and position in the class. When it comes to reading, understanding, and explanations I did better and later when we decided to write, I also outshined, and outwitted him. But, he was miles ahead of me in grades and position, usually coming first or second while I would be further back in fourth, fifth or sixth. I hated it when he beats me and whenever I read then, I was forced to do a little bit more because I was always thinking he could be up reading wherever he was, or when I was feeling tired, and wanting to sleep. I cannot speak for him but I am sure he suffered as much.

Whenever I did well in any subject, he would be the first I try to seek out to know my score, and he does the same to me, pursuing me when I try to escape. Finding out wherever I may be dodging when my score is not very good and I may have heard or suspected he did better, and I took great pleasure in doing the same to him. We pushed each other so much that we carried it to acting drama and wanting to be the lead character in whatever drama was available to be acted. I suspect the then Vice principal, Mrs Okereke knew about our competition and encouraged it because usually, she would give each of us the same script and then choose who would lead after we have shown our mastery of the script. We were also judged on diction and ability to represent the situation and action in real life. But in all, she was fare, motherly, a teacher and a lover of drama. In the end, when we presented the last drama to the whole school, she made sure we had two main dramas presented, and we both led each. She also wanted to help direct our career based on our areas of strength, and abilities. When she asked what I wanted to do after graduating from secondary school and university, I had no doubt and off the cuff, said, I wanted to be a Writer and actor while Ifedi said he wanted to do and be the same but unlike my parents, the decision as to his schools and career was predetermined, and he went on to become a very successful doctor while until now, I am stocked as a Writer, still struggling to have that financial breakthrough. So, be very careful what your tongue makes you wish, and say about your ambition and career.

I do not mean that I am very happy and contented to continue this writing journey to its logical or illogical conclusion. I enjoy the grand flexibility of timing, I have more control over how my day is ordered, except when I have a deadline that I could choose to want to meet or not. I am doing what I have always wanted to do, what I have passion for. Reading and writing transport me to places unimaginable. The creativities help me to reach my superior consciousness, allowing me great insights to express ideas and tell my stories, how I want them told and using whatever genre I feel comfortable doing it on.

Do I ever worry that writing isn’t enough, given my responsibilities? Sure. But this is the road I have chosen and I know for sure that if the road seems difficult, the creative results keep me happy and going. And I will be damned if I do not find a way to take care of my responsibilities that have so far, up till date been taken care of.

As a Writer, do I have doubts about my writing, yes. But, I am not alone. Even the most successful, artistic, and capable writers suffer from self-doubt. Not able to meet the deadline. Other writers are better are all familiar issues. Confidence can also affect every aspect of your writing life: which jobs to choose, negotiating prices, handling feedback, etc all part of the issues that would never go away. It is even worse when one is a perfectionist. You might lack positive feedback. Or perhaps you’ve had rejections. Many factors can crush your self-confidence and ability to write. Fortunately, any writer who knows how can build that confidence.

To continue how it all started in secondary school; at a stage, when we started acting, I was made the president of the dramatic society. I was so versatile, I was also made president of many other groups such as YSCS; Young Student Christian Association and president, of debating society, but the drama was where I found joy and fulfilment, and I decided I was no longer going to have our members act script and books but rewrite what we watched then on TVs such as Zebrudaya and other dramas. So, I write my first script and presented it to the whole school.

Now, it was a delicate period in my writing career and this is one of the many pitfalls that could kill a Writer’s passion or career to be noted.

I was just starting. I did not know about writer’s block, critiquing, plagiarism, wordy words, proper sentencing structures, awareness of avoiding spelling and grammar mistakes, what audience a Writer should address, transitional sentencing, overused quotes, lack of proofreading, editing, etc, etc. All I wanted to do was write, writing and having people read, enjoy or act out what I had written. So, when I finished my script and presented it to one of our teachers, who then was like a mentor, he nearly gave me a heart attack. His critique was hurtful. Everything he saw was negative. Whatever his reasons were, he intended to show that everything I did was wrong. He lacked the necessary feedback culture or sensitivity that was required to speak kindly to a teenager. There I was, a young lad, in his teens who had invested time and effort in putting together what I considered a masterpiece being thorn to shred but thankfully, I did not write then to impress and still do not, my writing has always been driven by pure passion to read and see my words and creativity. So, when he was done voicing his disapproval, I took back my script, stubbornly put up a team, announced to the whole school of my intention to present a drama and did. I even invited him and he came, watched my presentation and even applauded my effort. The surprise and grin on his face were my payback.

So, you may say, I got away with it because I had passion. Anyone can be a Writer without necessarily having the sort of beginning and passion as well as stubbornness I had. You could simply be a stay-at-home or working mum who needed more time to spend with the children and wished to develop a skill. It could be that you no longer feel comfortable with working nine to five and want a profession that gives you more control. You could simply see the opportunity to make extra money, write and wishes to take up the profession. Whatever the reason, anyone and everyone can be a Writer. As I have since discovered, having passion as a writer is only half of it. There are so many elements to writing that it is important that Writing like any other profession should be a learned occupation requiring time, training, schooling and careful mentoring to be mastered. I am grateful for the passion defined so early in my life but I also discovered that I needed familiarity with so many of other writing elements to be where I am today as a Writer and learning them can help make a Writer of you too. To be continued.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ZACK'S STORY

TENANTS OF THE HOUSE

WHY WOMEN WON'T GO TO HEAVEN